DVSA Requirements

In order to become a Driving Instructor and to have your  name entered on the Register, DVSA have the following requirements.

  • You must hold a full UK or European union (EU)/European EconomicArea (EEA) unrestricted car licence; any EU/EEA licence must either be exchanged for a GB licence or a community Licence. Advice on exchange of foreign licences can be obtained from the DVLA.
  • Have held it for a total of at least four out of the past six years prior to entering the Register after qualifying. A foreign driving licence, an automatic car driving licence or a provisional licence held after passing the driving test, all count towards the four years.
  • Not have been disqualified from driving at any time in the four years prior to being entered in the Register.
  • Be a fit and proper person to have name entered in the Register.

All convictions, motoring and non-motoring still in force will be taken into to account when we assess your suitability to be entered on to the Register. This includes fixed penalty offences such as speeding.

 The decision rests with the Registrar and is based on all convictions not spent under the rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974 and/or any motoring convictions acquired in the last six years. Any motoring offence(s)which result in endorsements totalling five penalty points or more will be looked at closely and could result in an application being refused.